Friday, November 7, 2008

Discipline Without Shouting and Spanking

Several months ago, my son did something that made me lose my temper and gave him the spanking he deserved (in my opinion). Several minutes after crying almost silently in our room, he approached me and handed me this book without saying anything.

I was surprised upon seeing the book since it is familiar and had seen it laying our bed or in the table most of the time. I don't know if i should feel insulted or be ashamed of my self.

My wife and I had been arguing about what method are we going to impose in the upbringing of our kid. She believes in diplomatic kind of discipline (without shouting and hitting) while i want to be more strict (since i grew up with a disciplinarian father).

As a parent, I actually don't feel good either after laying a hand or raising my voice on my kid. Its like you are also hitting yourself and feels three times more of the pain.

I took the time to read and give the philosophies of this book a chance to settle in my mind and analyze if whether it is reasonable and attainable enough to be followed.

The book covered a lot of topics and problems usually encountered by parents with preschool kids and gives most practical and simple advices on how to deal with such problem. It also helped me have some understanding in child psychology.

Now, my wife is happy seeing me slowly putting the book's ideas into action and i find it also very interesting since i am required to spend more time with the kid and at the same time be more patient. This way, I am given the chance to know the child more and more each day and make our bond stronger. Maybe its a way of catching up of the 3 years that we had lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment