Monday, January 14, 2008

Omari-san and I

There's one thing i feared the most here in Japan.....the blue-uniformed, white capped Omari-sans. Just the sight of them and their red flashing light-patrol car makes me shiver to the bones and makes my heart jump off my chest. Actually i had several encounter with them face-to-face. First was two years ago in our gemba (job site) in Koenji, Tokyo. There's this two guys in black civilian clothing stepped out of the van and cornered me and my Turkish colleague and asked for identification and alien card. Since i have none (an illegal alien) i started to worry cause i know that i will be picked up and locked in cell while waiting for deportation. Thinking that its December 24, i might end up celebrating Christmas in jail.

I just remained calm and managed to look directly into this officer and talk to him in english pretending that i dont uderstand Nihonggo. He's looking for my passport and i gave him my wallet with all the ID cards that i have. Luckily a friend made me a scanned passport and visa (i dont know how he made it appear that i have a valid one) and i just showed it to the officer in a calm manner.

Luckily this officer bought it and then dismissed me and joined his mate interrogating the Turkish youngster. it turned out that this friend of mine is an asylum seeker and by Japanese law, they are not allowed to work. then how can these asylum seekers feed themselves andpay the rent if they are not allowed to work and earn a living? Another aspect in Japanese system that i cannot fathom. After a lengthy negotiation with another person on the phone( i took it as the Turkish lawyer) they decided to leave this boy alone and told him that if ever he will be caught working again, they will never hesitate to lock him up and send back to Turkey.

Its only after they had left that i felt cold sweat dripping from my forehead and my heart's beat can be heard meters away! Thank God! its a miracle for me!

I call it my Miracle Before Christmas.

The second was a month ago while riding my bicycle on the way to an Electronic Shop to buy the digital camera that i've been eyeing and saving for for the past months.

I was enjoying the view of vegetable plots at the roadside when suddenly out of nowhere this young twenty something officer in blue uniform riding a scooter hailed me. Oh shit! not again!


Ii am starting to panic. he stepped out of the bike and told me that he noticed that my bike's lock is missing. i answered him taht the key was lost so i decided to take away the lock. I did it while looking into his eyes and put a smile on my face. I am not sure if i am really good in lying epecially with a trained law enforcer face-to-face.

He called the police station and reported the bike's serial number to check if there's a report of theft on my bike. after several seconds the serial number was cleared and he asked for apology for the incovenience and told me to be careful while riding.

I just answered him with a smile and rushed out of the scene as fast as i could fearing that he might change his mind and ask me for an identification and alien card which is a routine practice especially when dealing with gaijins (foreigners).

Whew! That was close! Another miracle for me!

I am really thankful for HIM and for all HIS guidance and protection. There's a reason for all of this. A reason for me to stay a little longer and serve my purpose.

Until when will it be? I will know when it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment